Meeting Minutes August 19, 2013
Next meeting: September 16, 2013 at 6:00pm Ryan’s Steakhouse (Election of Officers/Directors)
I. Discussions and Announcements
A. On July 26th several Cherokee Chapter volunteers entertained 25 children at the Johnson City Parks and Recreation with Fly tying, antique fishing equipment and presentation on fly fishing. A letter of appreciation was received.
B. Four (4) Cherokee Chapter members attended the TN TU council meeting in July. Topic of discussion was the License plate money. Approx $40K available for grants. Cherokee applied for $5K toward TIC program. GSMC applied for $10K toward didamo research in State Park and $10K for TN Aquarium brook trout project. Another $3.6K grant for Cherokee was also submitted (per Dick Davis request) for TIC programs outside East TN area. Balance sheet of program was passed around for all to view.
C. Updates on some of the programs requesting grant monies:
1. Erwin State Hatchery already has a designated raceway for brook trout propagation.
2. TN Aquarium has successfully released approx 200 brook trout thus far with electronic tracking.
3. TIC – 7 systems are signed up for the 2013/14 school year in East TN. Five in place currently, two to start in Oct. Two other schools requesting systems anticipated to start in Jan 14. Volunteers always needed and appreciated.
D. Dillard Pond kiosk project – volunteers will be coordinating purchase of building materials and constructing the information board portion of the kiosk.
E. Healing Waters – Fly tying is well attended every Tuesday evening at the VA. Steve Felix just had cataract surgery and no one has heard from Mike Bacon on the status of his illness. A surprise 75th birthday party is underway this evening for Jack Prater – organized by several of the veterans.
F. Misc Items:
1. Fishing Report – lots of water on the So Holston, no surface activity but fishing good with wet flies.
2. Set of keys found on Watauga River near Siam Bridge. Fly shops in area will be notified.
II. Calendar Events:
Sept 16 = Next Cherokee Chapter Mtg – election of Officers/Directors
Oct 4-6 = B Cliff Cabins fishing scheduled for Cherokee Members – for more information contact Butch Clendenon
Oct 19 = Saw Mill Branch day-lighting project – half day project beginning at 8am – volunteers please coordinate with Allen Robbins
III. Guest Speaker – none scheduled